Saturday, April 12, 2008

THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR 22

THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR 22

Ellen Datlow, Horror Editor
Kelly Link & Gavin Grant, Fantasy Editors

Ellen Datlow
YBFH #22
PMB 391
511 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10011-8436
U.S.A.
(Write "YEAR'S BEST HORROR" on the envelope)

Kelly Link & Gavin Grant
176 Prospect Avenue
Northampton, MA 01060
U.S.A.

Submission Guidelines - January 2008

I co-edit the World Fantasy Award winning anthology series The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (St. Martin's Press) with Kelly Link & Gavin Grant. We are now reading for the 22nd volume, which will include all material published in 2008.

I am looking for stories from all branches of horror: from the traditional-supernatural to the borderline, including high-tech sf horror, supernatural stories, psychological horror, dark thrillers, or anything else that might qualify. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published in 2008. Submission deadline for stories is December 15th 2008. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine, anthology, or collection you're in or you edit is coming out by December 31st, you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can judge the stories in time. No e-mail submissions. I strongly suggest that authors check with their publishers that they are sending review copies out to me as I don't have time or energy to nag publishers to get me material. I request it once (maybe twice) and that's it.

There are summations of "the year in horror," and "the year in fantasy" in the front of each volume. These include novels, nonfiction, art books, and in my section, "odds and ends"-- material that doesn't fit anywhere else but that I feel might interest the horror reader. But I have to be aware of this material in order to mention it. The deadline for this section is January 30th, 2009.

Kelly & Gavin cover fantasy and I cover horror. If you consider something both, send a copy to each of us. We do not confer on our choices.

****I do not want to receive manuscripts from authors of stories from venues that it's likely I already receive regularly (like Interzone, The Third Alternative, Cemetery Dance, Subterranean, Postscripts, Weird Tales, F&SF, etc) or from anthologies and collections, unless I don't have or can't get that anthology or collection. What I would prefer is if you contact your publisher and ask him/her to send me the magazine or book.

And please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose a self-addressed-stamped postcard and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web, please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

Thanks for leaving a nice comment on my blog. As I'm in Malaysia (have you visited my country?),I felt really happy to have an author from Georgia posting comment on my blog.

It's great to hear that you like kayaking as well. I'm sorry as this comment is not related to this post...hope you don't mind.

Donna Sundblad said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting my blog as well. I have not visited your country. And when I chose the title Windwalker for my book, I did not realize it was used elsewhere. In fact, I did a search and did not come up with much.

My book was originally going to be titled The Fortress of Stone, but a handful of characters have the ability to walk on the wind which plays an intricate part in the plot.

I'll be reading your blog again, I'm sure as I receive your updates regularly because of our Windwalker connection.

Donna

Anonymous said...

It will be great! Seeing that we had established our friendship through blogging, care to exchange links? Thanks...

Donna Sundblad said...

Hey,

Thanks not a bad idea. I have three blogs here at blogger. Two of them strictly for writers and one for losing weight from a writer's POV. Let me know which one you'd like to be on and I'd be happy to link you.

In fact, I saw your sushi post today and thought how I might be able to incorporate some of your posts in my "Losing Weight From a Writer's POV." Very cool that we met like this. :)

Donna

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm fine with any of your blogs for the link. It will be perfect if you can link all your blogs to mine!Hahaha!

So cool to hear that my sushi's post might be helpful to you.

Donna Sundblad said...

I'll be keeping an eye on your blog and refer to it when applicable. Considering my novel's title is Windwalker, it will happen. :) I have six blogs all together so you'll never know where you'll show up next.

Donna