In 2002, 23 House Publishing released an anthology of vampire fiction by writers who proved themselves to be masters of the genre. Six years later, the vampires are calling again. A new collection of vampire fiction is being assembled, and a call has gone forth for authors - the best of the best - to be part of this exciting new book.
Deadline for submissions: August 31, 2008
- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: First and foremost, please be sure to include as much contact information with your submission as possible. We have literally had to pull stories that were selected for some of the previous anthologies because we only had an email address for an author, and it became unreachable. Give us every way possible to get in touch with you - addr, phone, cell, website, email, secondary email, etc. All contact information will be kept private, but we want to be able to contact you.
- To be considered for publication, a submission should be an unpublished, original work of fiction, submitted directly by the author, taking place in the world of vampires - although there is no constraint as to the time period in which the story occurs. We don't want to be too restrictive about the vampire universe, but keeping your story within the bounds of general vampire lore (harmed by light, no reflection in mirrors, etc.) will increase your chances. For the past anthology we had some stories that were SO far out (Jesus was a vampire, George Washington was a vampire, vampires are on UFOs, etc) that they would have been a detractor from the anthology as a whole. Just send in an entertaining story that you think the average reader will enjoy.
- Length requirements are somewhat flexible, but ideally stories should be 3000-5000 words. Stories that are too far outside of either boundary won't be read.
- Please note that this anthology is about vampires. Stories regarding monsters, aliens, angels, ghosts or any other non-vampire entities are not appropriate for this book.
- Your story can be comedy, romance, horror, or any other theme that you want - we're looking for a good, even mix. Just entertain!
- The submission should be original fiction - no "fan fiction", including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Anne Rice series, Masquerade, or even the new "Moonlight" television series. Not that there's anything wrong with fan fiction, but in an independent published anthology it creates all sorts of copyright problems. We're looking for original characters, stories and ideas.
- Please be sure to double-check the grammar in your stories. Although we're looking for content, grammar does make an impression on the initial read. Single space your story and give it your best polish before sending it in. We want to consider your best effort.
- Stories must be submitted by the website www.23house.com/submit.html.
- The resulting book, tentatively named "Nights of Blood II", will be published in trade paperback format, 8.5" x 5.5" with a gloss cover and heavy 60 lb. stock paper inside - it's going to be a very attractive book, and the working cover price is $18.95.
- There is NO fee to submit your story manuscript for consideration... and if you ever see a publisher asking you to pay ANYTHING AT ALL for your story to be considered, don't just walk, RUN AWAY!
- For stories selected for publication, authors will be required to sign a contract, which basically spells out the items contained in these guidelines.
- Stories selected for publication may be edited as deemed necessary to suit the format of the book. The story's author will be contacted for approval if substantial changes are required. The flip-side of this is that if substantial changes are required, the story probably won't be selected.
- If selected for publication, the author grants first publication right to the story to the publisher for as long as the book remains in print. To further use the story in print or other media, please contact 23 House for prior approval.
- There is no limit to the number of stories that an author can submit.
- Writers selected for this collection of vampire tales will be compensated with a single copy of the book. Authors can purchase additional copies of the books at the wholesale price of 50% off cover, and then re-sell them at full price at book signings, speaking engagements, etc. to generate revenue.
Submissions should be posted at www.23house.com/submit.html.
Please direct any question to: 23 House