One book they've just announced:
Tough Economic Times
We are all going through difficult times right now, some with more dire consequences than others. We would like to know what changes you are making in your lives that reflect the times. Are you downsizing, making do with less, discovering new joy in a simpler life? These stories will give you,
our readers, inspiration and insight into how others are coping.
The deadline date for story submissions is March 31, 2009.
Guidelines for a Chicken Soup for the Soul Story
1. Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).
2. Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!) Don’t leave anything out — how did you feel?
3. The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings though the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a lesson learned, a positive change or pay-off.
4. Above all, let it come from your HEART! Your story is important!
What a Chicken Soup for the Soul story IS NOT:
1. A sermon, an essay or eulogy.
2. A term paper, thesis, letter or journal entry.
3. About politics or controversial issues.
4. A “My Grandma Just Died, and Let Me Tell You What A Wonderful Person She Was” or “Let Me Tell You About My Disease or Operation” or “I Gave a Bum Some Money, Aren’t I Incredible?” or “Why My Mother Is the Best Mother” or a personal testimony that may mean nothing to the reader.
1. It is preferred that all submissions are sent via our website by clicking here. If you don’t have access to the Internet, please submit your stories preferably typed on plain white 8 1/2” x 11” paper, in 12-point Times New Roman font.
2. Please be sure to type the author’s name and contact information on the first page of each and every story.
3. Stories should be non-fiction, ranging in length between 300-1200 words.
4. Mail your submissions in a flat, 9x12 envelope if possible.
5. No anonymous or author unknown submissions please.
6. Send only one copy of each submission.
7. We do not return submissions, so please don’t send the original.
If the story you wrote is published, you will be paid upon publication of the story. Payment amount will be determined at that time.
The only way to receive an acknowledgment of your submission at this time is by submitting through our website, by clicking here . By submitting through the website, you will be taken to an acknowledgment screen on our website directly after hitting “send”. This screen will inform you that the story has been accepted into our submission process. We strongly encourage you to submit stories online as it is both the fastest and easiest way to process and review your submission. If you do not have Internet access at home, you can always visit a local library.
It can take up to three or four years for Chicken Soup for the Soul books to develop. Please be patient, as this is an important, yet time-consuming process. If your story is chosen for a future edition of Chicken Soup for the Soul or any other projects, you will be notified and your permission to print it will be requested.
Feel free to submit more than one story or poem. Please do not send us any book manuscripts, unless through a literary agent, as these will be automatically discarded.
You can submit your story 3 different ways:
Please know your stories and poems have the best chance of being used if you submit them through our web site.
Mail: Chicken Soup for the Soul
Attn: Story Submissions
PO Box 700
Cos Cob, CT 06807-0700